• Many people are concerned about home burglary.
• Victoria’s home burglary rate is consistently below the
national average – but there are still over 40,000
burglaries in Victoria each year.
• Homes which have been burgled once are almost four
times more likely to be burgled again – and burglars
often return within two months, just after you’ve
replaced all the items they stole.
• Most of us, especially those who live in cities, will
Protect your Home
- Summary of useful tips
- Install strong locks on doors and windows – and lock up when you leave
- When you’re not at home, make it look like somebody’s there
- Never let people know when your home will be empty
- Avoid advertising your expensive purchases
- Don’t hide spare keys outside your home
- Mark your property
- Make a list of your property
- Lock up your tools and your shed
- Consider installing a burglar alarm
- Report all suspicious activity around your home to the police